Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nike After Thoughts

I returned from spectating at the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco on late Monday night. I had some catching up to do at work yesterday and i am now finally able to post my thoughts about the weekend. I have spectated at the NYCM previously but this was different...I had actually run with many of the participants during their training so I had a personal rooting interest at this race. I was hoping that everyone from NNJ would set a huge PR. of course all of the first timers were going to PR but I silently hoped that tehy would achieve the time goal that they had in mind.

It was much more difficult to watch a race when you have run with so many of the runners. What made it even more difficult was the fact that I have coached (last year was Melissa's back up so was just in a support role) at this event 3 times and when I saw one of the NNJ runners I felt bad that I was not in a position to do anything except shout words of encouragement to the runners as they passed. I tried and I hope I succeeded in staying out of Melissa and Lynne's way throughout the weekend and not step on THEIR team. The coaches work as a team during training but the Nike Team was Melissa and Lynne's team.

Also I found it difficult to watch as other coaches from other chapters passed me on the sidelines, wishing i was out there making a difference like you all were. I felt sort of helpless and inferior to all of the runners, walkers and coaches and especially to the real spectators who were cheering loudly for EVERYONE who passed...I was the third wheel on a speedy bike and was slowing down the forward progress...for that I apologize to everyone...

It was a fantastic weekend and the entire team did a great job...I believe that almost everyone set a new PR and we all had a great weekend together...looking forward to the next event with each of you ....

No comments: